Sligs are a sentient species found on Oddworld, serving as security and personal assistants to the Magog Cartel. Even though Sligs generally enjoy what they do, they are essentially still slaves to the Magog Cartel. The Slig queen provides the cartel with her young and any Sligs that do not perform to acceptable standards are sent to face her wrath.
Sligs were originally primitive and simple living creatures who preferred swampy regions, living in bodies of water in bogs and lakes. However, when the Glukkons first encountered them, they turned out to be a sentient species. The Glukkons were able to easily negotiate that if the Sligs would work for them, they could grant them mechanical aids for easy mobility, which they reluctantly accepted. In return for the robotic Slig Pants that grant them the ability to walk, Sligs have pledged their loyalty to the Glukkon Industrialists as henchmen and bodyguards. In truth, much of the Glukkon success has been achieved by the Slig's combat capabilities.
Anatomy and physiology
Sligs are small, stocky creatures that inhabit various areas of Oddworld. They are often described by some as polliwog/octopus/squid-like. Their heads have an appearance similar to that of a featherless crow with five tentacle-like mandibles that protrude from their face. The appearance of their eyes is unclear as sligs are never seen without masks on, apart from a single concept art piece in The Art of Oddworld Inhabitants: The First Ten Years, where the eyes are described as "pathetic, small, helpless-looking." Sligs are somewhat short in stature since their back legs are vestigial and have fused together into a small tail-like appendage. They therefore spend the early years of their life using their front limbs as makeshift legs. As a result, their forearms are oversized due to the increase in muscle mass required for locomotion.
Sligs are seen consistently wearing masks, mostly because upper management regard Sligs as so ugly they are forced to wear masks, otherwise they would simply refuse to work with them.
Sligs as a whole are lazy, violent, cruel, and dull minded. Sligs are also very social; enjoying sports, gambling, card games, and hunting. They often become envious of one another, as they are easily impressed by higher ranks or better equipment than their own. Sligs tend to live only 20 Oddworld years.
Variants and Purposes
This most commonly seen variant of the Slig carries an automatic firearm and is used as the main security force to guard large facilities owned by the Magog Cartel. In Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee these Sligs are on occasion given full body armor, making them considerably tougher and more dangerous.
Sligs are always encountered wearing variations of masks. The masks are supported by breathing apparatuses as well as areas to provide vision.
Heads Up Display Visor
The Heads Up Display Visor or H.U.D. Visor was a variant that was extremely common during the years that RuptureFarms was active. The H.U.D. Visor had a built-in red visor that functioned as a H.U.D. Display with a scanner that was used in order to identify members, employees, and slaves of the Magog Cartel. The visor eventually became obsolete as it had no depth perception.
The Slig Pilot Mask variant features built-in red lens goggles which are used protect a Slig's vision from natural elements and debris. The Pilot Mask is sported by all variations of Slig. However, they are more common among Flying Sligs. The mask earned its name due to its leathery appearance and its slight resemblance to real World War II aviator masks.
Unknown to those ignorant, or scared, of asking - Sligs actually have names. They in fact earn them in the crèche, after graduating from Slaughter School. It's also a sign of status, not all sligs have earned the right to publicly be called such. Some sligs have no names and are instead referred to by rank and or purpose that he fulfills in society 
- Sligs are among the first hostile enemies introduced in each Oddworld game, with the exception of Stranger's Wrath.
- Sligs were originally called Order Guards.
- The word slig is a portmanteau of "pig" and "slug".
- The standard issue Slig assault rifle looks more like a Winchester pump-action shotgun than an assault rifle.
- In Slig GameSpeak, there are the phrases, "BS" and "S'mo BS" which Sligs represented with buzzing or screeching sounds similar to that of a police siren or horn. The phrases are actual shortened versions of the terms, Bullshit and Some more bullshit. The phrases are completely useless unless they are used by Sligs that are not possessed. When the phrases are spoken they are used to present signs of distrust, dislike, or refusal such as when a Slig is reprimanding or abusing a disliked or rebellious Mudokon. The phrases serve no purpose or significance beyond unlocking Voice Locks in Abe's Exoddus and in Abe's Oddysee.
- The "BS" and "S'mo BS" sounds the Sligs make in Oddysee and Exoddus are actually distorted flamingo calls.
- According to the manual for Abe's Oddysee, they have "room temperature IQs"
- The H.U.D. visor bears a striking resemblance to the visor sported by the science fiction character, RoboCop.
- Abe's Oddysee (First Appearance)
- Abe's Exoddus
- Munch's Oddysee
- The Art of Oddworld Inhabitants: The First Ten Years 1994 - 2004
- ↑ C. Wade, J. Johnson (2004-05-01).
- ↑ http://oddworldlibrary.net/archives/web/oddworld.com/alf/ow_dearalf06.shtml
- ↑ Slig Names Dear Alf #19
- ↑ http://retroasylum.com/episode-124-its-an-oddworld-part-2/ @ 1:00:25