| ||This page is about the upcoming game by Oddworld Inhabitants. For the beverage, see SoulStorm Brew.|
Oddworld: Soulstorm is an upcoming game in the Oddworld series. It is a re-imagining of the 1998 title Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus, but with a newly written story that is loosely based on the original game. Soulstorm will serve as a direct sequel to Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty and is currently slated for a 2018 release.
A possible remake of Abe's Exoddus was first mentioned in an interview with Lorne Lanning on July 8th, 2014, where he discussed the then upcoming release of Oddworld: New 'n' Tasty. On April 13th, 2015 Lorne Lanning was a guest on the Kinda Funny Games podcast and officially announced the Abe's Exoddus HD project to be in the planning stages.
By the end of 2015 Just Add Water announced that they would no longer be working with Oddworld Inhabitants on full-scale projects. According to Lorne Lanning the distance between the two studios (OWI in the United States and JAW in the United Kingdom) would occasionally hinder the development process. A small number of team members who originally worked on New 'n' Tasty founded Fat Kraken Studios in November 2016. They have confirmed to be working on Soulstorm.
On September 7, 2016, Oddworld Inhabitants announced that it was in possession of development hardware for the PlayStation 4 Pro, which was announced by Sony on the same day. The more powerful hardware compliments the design goals for Soulstorm by allowing higher visual fidelity, lighting and physically based rendering.
On April 27, 2017, Lorne Lanning said the release of Soulstorm was pushed back to 2018.
Oddworld Inhabitants was present on the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) 2017 in Los Angeles to privately show Soulstorm to a select group of people. Oddworld Forums member Xavier was among the invitees and, while not able to share much of what he saw due to a non disclosure agreement, described Soulstorm as "more fluid, more alive and more dynamic than any other Oddworld game."
Soulstorm was officially announced on March 14, 2016 during the GDC 2016, including a teaser page and a press release. Oddworld Inhabitants reopened their own studio for the development of Soulstorm, aiming to develop most of the game in-house in conjunction with Canada based Frima Studio. The latter has an in-house animation and VFX department and is believed to be responsible for the game's cutscenes and high-res character modeling.In the press release Lorne Lanning explains that the story in Soulstorm, while inspired by Abe's Exoddus, will not be a one on one copy like New 'n' Tasty was.
- "There was a deeper, darker, and more sinister story that we never got to tell," explains series creator, Lorne Lanning. "Soulstorm gives us the opportunity to flesh out more meat on the bones of an original spine, but re-tell the fable from a very different angle."
- ―Lorne Lanning
In an interview with GI Show Lorne explained that Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus at the time had to be produced in only nine months. This resulted in little to no time to revise the script in any meaningful way. Soulstorm aims to to tell the story as it was originally meant to be.
New character models Edit
After the announcement Oddworld Inhabitants started a social media campaign in which they would tease images of a brand new 3D character model for Abe. The new model replaces the twenty year old original model that has been used in almost every Oddworld game to date. The model not only received many visual details, but Abe's appearance was also slightly changed. On January 19, 2017 an animated version of the image appeared on the Soulstorm website.
Alternate reality game Edit
In an interview with the Kinda Funny Games podcast on March 17, 2016, Lorne mentioned Oddworld Inhabitants' plans to communicate and tease new information about the Soulstorm in a style similar to an alternate reality game (ARG). This would hopefully prevent long gaps of silence from the developer between updates and keep the fan community more engaged while waiting.
- Soulstorm was the original working title for Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and was later used to name the Glukkon-made beverage in Oddworld: Abe's Exoddus.
- Story elements that were cut from the original will be implemented in Soulstorm.
- ↑ Metro.co.uk - 'If New ‘N’ Tasty does 250,000 units we should be able to initiate Exoddus in the same way.'
- ↑ A Storm is Brewing - Abe's Exoddus Remake Planned
- ↑ JAWLtd.com - That was 2015, here comes 2016!
- ↑ Fat Kraken Studios is working on Oddworld: Soulstorm!
- ↑ Oddworld and PS4 Pro
- ↑ TheGameOverGreggy Show Episode 177
- ↑ OddworldForums.net - Oddworld: Soulstorm behind closed doors
- ↑ Oddworld: Soulstorm
- ↑ GI Show – Final Fantasy XV Impressions, Ratchet & Clank, Oddworld's Lorne Lanning
- ↑ Kinda Funny's GDC Live Show: Day 3